We’re looking for an experienced frontend software engineer excited about joining a small, dynamic startup where you can have a major impact on the company's success in the red-hot machine learning field. You're passionate about UX design: you excel at turning complex, rapidly evolving problem spaces into intuitive, empowering user interfaces.
We’re building a high performance and ergonomic machine learning inference platform. You’ll build the React.js web interface that our customers use to deploy, test, and monitor high volume production ML models. No prior ML experience is needed, but you should be ready to come up to speed fast on the product space and the user stories.
You have experience writing complex production-grade React.js systems interacting with backend system APIs. You’ve got a good intuitive grasp of usability and ergonomic UX/UI design principles -- UI paper cuts drive you crazy. You know your way around modern web frameworks and build tools. You understand the pain involved in interacting with systems that contain many related components and process large volumes of data. You thrive in an environment where the long-term goals remain stable but day-to-day needs may change quickly. And more than anything, you are committed to continual learning and value sharing your knowledge with the team.
You'll work with our backend engineering team to extend the APIs that power the UI, and work with our customer-facing teams to understand the users' needs. You might be creating charts and visualizations to quickly highlight changes in important model metrics, coming up with useful visual groupings of information to enable new insights, or building a novel way of displaying A/B test results to clearly emphasize the outcome.
- Build a delightful and cohesive user interface for our machine learning platform using React.js.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Develop tooling to support development and deployment.
- Work with the product team to understand customer requirements and turn them into frontend features. You're comfortable getting in front of executive-level customers and talking them through a design occasionally.
- Work with backend engineering teams to support the development of the frontend.
- Work with product designers to develop a coherent, intuitive, ergonomic UI/UX for our product.
- Product sensibility - you can envision the whole system providing real value to customers.
Minimum 4 years professional frontend software engineering experience, including significant React.js work.
Specific experience with machine learning is NOT necessary, but you should be willing to learn fast!
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of React.js.
- A portfolio of previous frontend work.
- Good design and aesthetic sensibilities.
- Familiar with GitHub, pull request workflow / code review processes.
- You know what UI paper cuts are, and ways to avoid and fix them.
- Good understanding of usability and human-computer interaction ergonomics: You design and build intuitive user interfaces that end users can pick up and become productive with almost immediately, with little to no training or documentation required.
- Product thinking and awareness: you see the bigger picture beyond the UI, and contribute to product management discussions.
- You can help define user interface requirements for emerging, incompletely defined complex systems and novel business processes.
- You use good professional judgement to balance the need to move quickly against the need to build robust and maintainable solutions.
Nice to Have:
- Experience with D3, Vega, or similar charting and visualization systems.
- Experience with Grafana, Prometheus, Loki, or similar metrics analysis tools.
- Experience with Postgres or Rust.
- Experience designing GraphQL and REST APIs.
- Experience building Kubernetes containers.
- Experience with one or more cloud environments: AWS, GCP, Azure.
- Experience with machine learning.
We know interviewing can be a daunting experience, so we would like to provide some visibility into our process.
- A candidate applies to the position.
- If the resume meets the requirements described in the job post, then Wallaroo schedules an initial screen. This is a one hour interview with 10 questions that help us get a better understanding of your experience and the way that you approach your work. There are no technical questions, and the remainder of the hour (usually about 20 minutes) can be used by the candidate to ask questions.
- If the initial screen was positive, then Wallaroo sends the candidate a React-based frontend coding exercise. The candidate should spend no more than 3 hours on the solution. That time can be spread across several days, because we understand that your time is valuable.
- Once the solution is received, Wallaroo will set up a followup interview to discuss the candidate's solution. This interview will be conducted by two members of our engineering team and will focus on correctness, engineering tradeoffs, and exploring alternative solutions.
- If the technical solution review was positive, then the candidate is invited to an interview with the VP of Engineering. This interview focuses on soft skills and team interactions.
- If the interview with the VP of Engineering is successful, then the candidate is invited to a final interview with the CEO of the company.
- If we feel that the candidate is a good fit for the position, then an offer will be made.
Wallaroo is a platform for production AI that helps turn data into business results faster, simpler, and at lower cost. We enable data science teams to get models live against production data three times faster and at 80% lower compute costs, while giving them visibility into how the models are performing, and the power to make quick and easy iterations. Our tech runs as a service inside a client’s environment--whether in a cloud, on-prem, or at the edge--integrating with modern data ecosystems and ML frameworks. Backed by stellar enterprise VC’s, at Wallaroo we believe that we have a $60B market opportunity at the intersection of real-time (streaming) data, AI, and digital transformation.
- Distributed First
- Lifelong Learning
- Self-motivation and Accountability
- Respect and Openness
- Right tool for the Job
- Everyone a Teacher
For details about what these values mean, please see our "Engineering Values" page.
At Wallaroo we believe that the most diverse and inclusive teams build the best products! As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.